Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Celebrating "in"





My European bitties have informed me that you celebrate your birthday "In" - meaning you celebrate the night before (and the night of). In reality I've been celebrating my birthday "in" for 3 weeks now. I love 22.

Before I get into the dirty details of my 80s night birthday, I'll explain to you what it means to be a "host" for the 2010 Olympics. It's not all fun and games (duh). Actually it was no fun at all (kidding - I'm living the dream). My very first shift was on Monday, like any first day I set that alarm for 5:50am, had my bus route all planned, had that blue smurf
uniform laid out nicely, basically ready as I'd ever be for that first day.
Unfortunately I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and then it went swiftly down hill from there. Turns out my well planned bus route wasn't so well planned at all and I obviously missed my bus. So I panic, walk up to this massive greyhound coach and ask the driver where "lot 5 skiers" is? He sees my panicked face
and offers to drive me over there himself. Massive bus, one driver and one passenger?? It was clearly a realllyyyy panicked face. In the mean time I call my supervisor who informs me that it has happened to almost everyone on their first shift and not to worry. Phew - I was off the hook and now I'll know forever where "lot 5 skiers" is. So I got on the right bus, and arrive at Whistler Olympic Park, 1 hour late.!


On the bus another host (and Australian) explained to me that all the volunteers are sifted through security, and then head to quick team meetings before shuttling to the various locations to host at. This is exactly what happened when we arrived at the park. The events being held at Whistler Olympic Park are ski jump, cross country ski, and biathlon. These are all the posts in which, I, as a host have to be hospitable at. This involves welcoming people in, directing them where to
go, checking accreditation and tickets, and directing people through security. Yesterday, however, we were only checking accreditation... Accreditation of the Olympians that is. I, no joke, was posted outside the athlete lounge and warmup area. I got to welcome them inside, and see them practice at the cross country ski zone. They're all so freakin fit. It's like their hamstrings are going to pop right off their bones. It was so cool to be around them, I definitely felt that competition vibe. I finished off the day meeting Tiger Wood's publicist. no big deal. I nearly vomited. I don't think I stopped smiling the entire day. The volunteers are all pretty awesome too, my team of 10 are all people my age, they're super nice. All and all it's
pretty amazing to be apart of something like this. My next shift is friday - the day the games begin!!! 4am - 4pm shift.. omg responsibility.

I headed for home to get ready for birthday celebrations!! It turned into a night of shenanigans. My roommate insisted we go to Tommy Africas for 80s night. So we all got ready in our 80s attire in our little room, had a few drinks and got our dance on. It was soul shaking for 5 hours, my birthday dream. From elevator pictures, stalking one very unattractive man in a green jumpsuit (when I looked at my camera this morning this guy managed to weasel his way into every other photo), to dancing on stages, and somehow finding the coherency to change my status on facebook to "birthday birthday birthday real ones" my Whistler Birthday party has been one to remember. And it's not over. It's birthday dinners and drinks tonight!

3 more days until the Olympics!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment