Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A turn of events


I made it to Whistler today! My friend's roomie decided to head to Whistler today so I was able to get a ride up with her. Phew! I actually thought I might not make it after yesterday. Before we left we went to the PNE on East Hastings, one of the Olympic venues, to get our uniforms and accreditation. The uniforms are super cute but my pants are 3 sizes too big - apparently they've run out of sizes. Whoopsy! The accreditation process went so fast it was as if anyone could walk in there and receive they're free pass to the Olympics. It was really weird actually, but we were happy with how speedy it was.

On the way my friend's roomie was filling me in on her experience with volunteering with the Olympic committee. Apparently it's totally unorganized everything is, and no one really knows what they're doing. Most people are essentially making their jobs up as they go. Both my friend and her roommate say it's more about the people they have been meeting, than the job itself. I guess I will find out when my shift starts next week but I signed up for experience more than anything else.


For now I've decided to give myself an attitude adjustment and have gone back to being excited about being here: it's the olympics, it's once in a lifetime and if I have to I'll take my old cabbie's advice... But I doubt I'll be peacing this place anytime soon. Whistler's gorgeous and it is buzzing with Olympic activity. I also finally met my roommate and have begun settling into my new apartment. It might be the smallest place I've ever set eyes on. My bed is literally in the kitchen sink but the location is fantastic - right in the village so I can see the mountains, and all the little ski bunnies strolling around. My roommate is also really nice so far - we're going out tonight after she gets home from work!!

I'm happy they're fewer antics today!

No comments:

Post a Comment