Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jump Jump!

The past two days I have been stationed to work at the Ski Jump for the large jump event. It is incredible. Working up in the stands with spectators or working with the media and broadcasting teams, I've never done something more amazing in my entire life.

Being on field of play - where the event takes place - is like no other experience. Everyone is passionate, proud, and excited to cheer. Not one person can take their eyes off the athletes, or the event. To hear the crowd erupt when the ski jump has made it to the 136m is incredible. As I say I've never been apart of something like this ever. Ski jump in of itself is a novelty to me. They all just look like little shooting starts hurling themselves off a gate into the air. How on earth does someone decide they want to be a ski jumper?

Today I was working in the media zone. Which meant getting tough with those dudes who thought they could enter into the athletes compound, or work their way into the field of play, or just be plain abnoxious. Working here meant working directly with athletes, the medal winners and all the press at the event. Seeing that gold medal winner walk past me - like 2cm away - was insane. AND Apparently I was on TSN. So if you think you saw a blue chickie who looked like me, it was!!! Unfortunately I was suffering from lack of sleep. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night because we were celebrating the success of Canada's gold winner last night, Jon Montgomery the skeleton racer. We were in fine form after getting free cover to a bar called Maxx Fish. It's hard to say no to going out in Whistler people are so excited to celebrate the success of the athletes, or even just the Olympics themselves. I'm getting tired though, I must admit.

I only have 2 more shifts with VANOC and will then be heading to Victoria, BC to visit some old sailing friends. My sailing friends from Class Afloat and to those of you who have not heard our ship - the S.V. Concordia has in fact sunk. Everyone is safe and sound but that ship, that was once my home is gone! Wild. It was the most devastating news and I am passing on my love and support to all Class Afloat staff, students, and families.

I'll be peacing Whistler as of Wednesday. I'm so sad to leave this place I absolutely love it here. I definitely will return soon. But I'm stoookkkkeeeddd to see everyone so the count down is on 7 more days!!! YES.


No comments:

Post a Comment