Friday, February 5, 2010

...just call him gangsta number 2


Says the Blackcomb ski patrol dude from Milton, On (where I used to live) on the chair lift yesterday. We were discussing Splitz Burger - the burger place next to the AplenGlow, where I'm living right now. Apparently for the best veggie Lentil burger, I have to ask for "gangsta number 2" to make it.. I was sold. More importantly I went skiing yesterday for the first time in 12 years.

But OMG. I thought I was going to die but I surprised myself with skiing success and it was a riot. Until I bailed hard twice leaving me bruised in some inconvenient places and my bod is actually in serious pain right now but all things considered im pretty stoked. I'm planning on getting out there a few more times before my volunteering shifts start next week, I might even try boarding with my roomie Laura. There's also talk of snowmobiling, and cross country skiing for a few days. I bought new ski gear today too! IT'S soooo HOT!

I'm currently skiing with my alias/ ski pass Emma Seeberg. One of the many European bitties I've been hanging out with since I've arrived. Since my roomie is German (yet she calls herself a "local") I've met almost all and only Europeans so far, and the occasional aussie. I'm just a little canadian and accentless minority over here... They're all such amazing people and they're living the dream. They all work, ski and play all night, it's fantastic. Most of them say it can only last a season and then you start to get a little Whistler crazy... I'll explain more on that in the future.

Aside from all that ski-bunny stuff I'm trying to stay on top of readings (joke) and I'm of course getting to know a few of these Whistler bars.. It's pretty hilarious last night I managed to convince the bartender to fill the VANOC travel mug with a pint of Rickards... He thought I was pretty insane, looked at me and said "are you serious?" and tried to explain how highly illegal it was and then smiled and gave it to me for free. it made my night.

As of next week I'm going to be really busy with Olympic stuff, my schedule is insane I have to work from 4am until 4pm every day starting Feb 11, that's all I know about my job though.. Even training in Squamish today left me in the dark about my responsibilities. On the bright side it's pretty exciting being here for the prep. More people arrive everyday and yesterday I saw Alan Rickman the dude who plays professor Snape from harry Potter. He was having drinks at this pub by the gym im going to now - THE CORE, it's no Queen's ARC but it's pretty fantastic. Anyway I stopped right in my tracks when I saw him and then smiled really big and then just kept walking with this giant smile on my face. Apparently John Travolta is coming next week!!! Unfortunately we were five minutes late for the torch celebration - I'm blaming today's hangover, so lame..

SO far it's been pretty peak - I'm sure it will only get better and a little more wild as more people filter in. We're planning on resting up tonight before things get out of hand.

7-6 more days until the OLYMPICS!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment